WHAT THE PROGRAM IS
A subsidized transportation sponsored by the Township, in collaboration with Special Needs Chicago, Inc. (“SNC”.) The program provides personal, non-emergency transportation to residents of New Trier Township who have severe mobility impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair or motorized scooter. Non-disabled residents are ineligible.
WHY THE PROGRAM WAS CREATED
To offer transportation resources allowing people with mobility challenges to travel where they need to go, whether its essential appointments or social and recreational events that assist them in living meaningful, productive lives.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
Any New Trier Township resident with a severe mobility impairment who uses a wheelchair or motorized scooter and can provide proof of residency and physician verification of eligibility. There are currently no income limitations for this service.
HOW THE SERVICE WORKS/COSTS
Before using Mobility Access, an eligible person must complete an application and register with the Township, which will then notify the provider of their eligibility. (Download Mobility Access Application) Registered riders can call Special Needs Chicago, Inc. at (630) 668-9999 to schedule trips.
Since scheduling is on a first come, first serve basis, riders are encouraged to schedule as far in advance as possible. When arranging for a trip, the rider will be asked the pickup location and destination and will then be informed of the price. In most cases, SNC will call or text the primary contact number designated on your Reservation Request Form one (1) business day prior to your scheduled ride. At that time, SNC will give a reminder of ride details, answer any questions, and provide a time to be ready for pick-up. SNC’s inability or failure to confirm any ride by phone will not serve as a cancellation.
Drivers provide door-through-door service, meaning they will meet passengers at the front door of the home or in a building’s public lobby, and the same on the destination end (when feasible). If the customer is ambulatory (able to walk) or a wheelchair user, the driver may help customer navigate up to three stairs at the customer’s request. However, please note that the customer’s family members, guardians and/or caregivers have the primary responsibility for getting the customer up and down all stairs.
The rider pays the cost of the initial trip, the Cancellations must be made by 6:00 p.m. the day before the ride or the rider will be charged $69. The rider must provide a credit card. Payment is due at the time of service. The rider must provide credit card information to the provider and sign the following Terms & Conditions:
Summary of SNC current fees:
$69.00 each way + $4.00 per mile. Discount rates available for standing orders. New Trier Township will pay the return trip for registered users up to the annual budgeted amount.
- $30.00 each way surcharge for trips from 6:00pm to 6:00am, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Additional passengers are $6.00 each way, with a maximum of 3 additional passengers. (Over 4 total people is then a group ride, price to be determined on a case-by-case basis, please contact us for information.)
- Wait fee is $48.00 per hour, billed in 15-minute increments.
- $20.00 airport surcharge.
- $30.00 wheelchair rental (must be booked at the time of the reservation).
- $30.00 additional fee each way for wheelchairs/scooters wider than 30” and/or weight in excess of 350 lbs of passenger + chair. (oversize / higher weight must be noted at time of reservation.)
- additional fee and/or price structure for group rides, shuttle service, deliveries, travel outside the Chicago metro area.
- Holiday surcharge of $60.00 each way. (New Year’s Day, Easter, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, Father’s Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve.)
- $150.00 each way additional fee for passengers symptomatic of, quarantined due to, or diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Gratuity is not included.
HOW TO APPLY
Call the Township office at (847) 446-8203 to have an application mailed to you or download and application here. They are also available at the Township offices at 739 Elm Street in Winnetka. Once you have completed the application, we register you with the provider and you are free to set up your ride! There are no limits of rides for medical appointments, but non-medical appointment rides are limited to 8 per month. Users must also read and complete the attached information form.